Let Our Onondaga and Westchester County Foreclosure Attorney Provide Professional Help
Legitimate mortgage rescue plans take time and effort, whether you hire an Onondaga and Westchester County foreclosure attorney, you are taking advantage of a government program, such as the Home Affordable Unemployment Program, you are considering a Chapter 13 bankruptcy or you are working directly with your lender on a loan modification.
However, be aware that there are fraudulent companies and individuals that make outrageous claims to worried homeowners about immediate foreclosure solutions. You may see advertisements on the internet; you may find fliers or business cards in your mailbox or on your door. These thieves scour the public record looking for homeowners in trouble and prey upon them. When looking for professional help for your mortgage problems, consider the following:
- A legitimate foreclosure rescue expert would not seek you out. Anyone who contacts you unsolicited to offer foreclosure assistance is a predator.
- A knowledgeable professional would not claim to be able to stop a foreclosure immediately regardless of circumstances. Stopping a foreclosure takes time, money and work; the only way to stop a foreclosure immediately is to file bankruptcy. If someone is promising that he can stop your foreclosure immediately and that person is not a bankruptcy attorney, he is probably trying to scam you.
- Be wary of anyone who offers to buy your house and lease it back to you until you can afford to repurchase it. Victims of this type of scam are often unable to complete the terms of the agreement due to rent hikes or absurd loopholes.
- Anyone who asks you to transfer title of your house to stop a foreclosure is a thief. Transferring your property does not transfer your loan obligation!
- Beware of anyone who advises you to send your mortgage payments to him instead of to your mortgage company. As long as you do not detect his wrongdoing, he will collect the money for as long as he can before he disappears.
- A legitimate professional would not try to stop you from seeking legal advice from an attorney, charge you for a consultation or pressure you into completing paperwork you do not understand.
Hiring a scam artist puts your home at greater risk by wasting your time and costing you money. Every day counts when you are trying to stop a foreclosure. If you give your money to a scam artist and wait for him to deal with your lender, your home could foreclose right out from under you. For reliable, straightforward advice, contact Onondaga and Westchester County foreclosure lawyer Theodore Araujo at the Bankruptcy Law Center for a free consultation.